Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Beginning to Identify the Baker in Me

I get so excited about baking...
My husband says I am a baker, not a fryer. In everything I do this is true. When we first got married, he asked me to make him a grilled cheese sandwich. Now, a grilled cheese sandwich is a touchy thing. You have to watch it and watch it and not leave to do something else to get the bread cooked but not burnt. I went through an entire loaf of bread and all the cheese before I finally got it right.... of course on the LAST pieces I DID sit there and watch it... and he said, "Thanks" like it was not a big deal. He likes to watch it and tweak it... I like to put my effort into it and then wait for it to bake while I am doing something else.
I do this with the kids. "Get to your homework, honey" I say and then do 40 thousand other things, meanwhile the homework is not getting done. It is physically painful for me to sit and watch someone do homework. I try very hard to save something to do for this time, like the Sudoku puzzle or writing letters, but I have very challenging times with this. I have four kids and a busy husband so you can imagine things are not always "calm" -- so I get distracted... and then my homework-doer is left unsupervised to dawdle...
If you love to bake, and love a warm house and people with warm hearts I hope you will love it here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment